Many Americans are getting ready to close up their cold northern homes and head south to warmer climates for the winter months. Reasons for temporarily changing homes vary. For some, health conditions, like asthma or arthritis, make living in a cold or damp climate very uncomfortable. For others, it’s simply an opportunity to enjoy retirement in a place where you don’t have to bundle up, stay indoors and drive in harsh road conditions.
No matter what your reasons are for traveling south this winter, a little bit of planning and preparation will make it a more enjoyable experience for you. Start with a checklist for preparing your summer home for a long absence. Here’s a good one, and another. Then rent a furnished vacation apartment.
The advantages of a vacation apartment
Even if you can afford a second home, buying one might not be the most cost effective way to weather the winter months. Renting a vacation apartment has several advantages.
- Explore a different city each winter. Don’t limit yourself to the same location each year. Travel around. See more of the country. A reputable temporary housing provider like Corporate Housing Associates can provide very comfortable accommodations in dozens of communities that are popular for wintertime stays.
- Let someone else arrange and pay for utility set-up. Don’t bother with a month-to-month rental where you’ll have to arrange for your gas, electric, internet, water and other utilities yourself. You might even have to pay a deposit for each one! Let the vacation housing provider handle all of those details and expenses, and pay the bill each month.
- Enjoy all the comforts of home, and then some. A reputable vacation housing agency will provide you with all of the kitchen and house wares you’ll need, as well as towels, linens, appliances (large and small), and comfortable furnishings. Click here for an example of what you can expect.
- Enjoy resort-like surroundings for an affordable price. Many vacation apartments are in communities that look and feel like expensive resorts. The one you choose might feature a fitness center, one or more swimming pools or Jacuzzis, a beautiful park-like setting and more.
If you’re planning to drive to your winter destination, here’s one more checklist to review, to be sure you’re as safe and prepared as you can be.
Latest posts by Diana Siaba (see all)
- How Corporate Furnished Apartments Save Companies Money - March 15, 2023
- 12 Things to Do in Dallas If You Are a Sports Fan - January 24, 2023
- How to Pick a School District When Looking at Long Term Corporate Housing - January 17, 2023