Whether it is for an extended business stay or a relocation for work, one of the top questions business executives have is, “How do you select corporate lodging?” This is a valid question because the options can be seemingly endless. Regardless of whether you are in search of an apartment, townhome, condo, or house for weeks or months at a time, a professional corporate lodging company should be able to find what you are looking for in a desirable location and within the budget.
How Do You Select Corporate Lodging
How A Corporate Lodging Company Can Help
Corporate lodging companies offer temporary, fully furnished housing to traveling executives or transferees, but the process requires more than simply finding them an apartment and calling it a day.
A reputable lodging company with years of experience should be able to give executives and transferees housing options beyond an apartment, to other possibilities such as a condo, townhome, or even a single-family house. A company with licensed realtors on staff can be instrumental in finding the ideal property.
The thought of moving to a new city for work and adding the responsibility of finding just the right housing can be time consuming and stressful, but a corporate lodging company can help keep the process smooth and worry-free. Look for a housing provider who can facilitate transferring to multiple cities across the nation with the help of realtors on staff. For example, Texas’ oil and gas industry frequently sees transferees, so it would be key for a business in that industry to find a company that serves cities such as Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi. It would also be beneficial to choose a provider with access to other Gulf of Mexico locations such as Lake Charles and Baton Rouge in Louisiana.
Regardless of the specific needs of a traveler/transferee and their family, a corporate lodging company can pair those needs with the individual’s available budget to find housing that best fits the designated criteria.
How Do You Select Between Corporate Apartments Versus Houses?
This is perhaps the most common dilemma that extended stay travelers or transferees have. In reality, both options can work nicely, but the element that contributes most to the final decision is the specific needs of the employee (and their family) and the local housing market.
Some key considerations an employee or transferee may want to consider include:
- Space for family or guests. Some apartments have one or more bedrooms which can be perfect for an individual that is traveling alone. However, an executive that is relocating or traveling with their entire family or expects to have their family visit frequently may prefer the spaciousness of a house or a multi-bedroom apartment so that there are comfortable accommodations for everyone.
- Privacy. While corporate apartments provide a degree of privacy, it is in a complex of other units, so to that degree a house may provide greater privacy. The length of a traveler’s stay and who they are traveling with generally helps make this decision an easier one.
- Roots. If an executive is going to be moving to an area with their family and is utilizing corporate lodging until they find a permanent home, it can be helpful to choose a home in the neighborhood where the children will be attending school. Many families find it helpful to put down roots as soon as possible to prevent things from feeling like they are limbo. Single travelers may prefer the smaller and more intimate spaces of an apartment that could be closer to the heart of the city rather than a neighborhood in a suburb.
It is worth noting that depending on the local housing market of the city, availability could be affected. Be sure to speak with the corporate housing company about this well in advance of the relocation.
What to Expect in Terms of Timelines for Moving In
With the right type of corporate housing selected, the focus then shifts from finding a property to moving into the property. This element of relocation is almost as key as finding the right lodging because the timelines can dictate a move in schedule.
- Existing properties. For existing apartments, houses, condos, and townhomes that are already furnished and have utility connections preset, a corporate housing company should be able to quickly get a move in date on the calendar. This may be possible in up to 48 hours or less from the time the deal is sealed.
- New properties. Newer homes that do not yet have furnishings or utility connections in place will require some time to become ready for move in. This can take up to 48 hours or more from the time a reservation is confirmed so that furniture, décor, housewares, and other necessary and special touches can be put in place.
It bears mentioning that the COVID-19 pandemic has presented some challenges with the supply chain being strained and deliveries being uncertain, and as a result it is possible that move in days could be slightly delayed beyond what is typical. For this reason, it is essential to work with a corporate lodging company that already has a warehouse stocked full of essential housewares such as bed sheets, linens, small appliances, pots, pans, and more so that they can access and deploy these items as quickly as possible.
Also look for a corporate lodging company that has existing and long-established relationships with multiple vendors who will be able to assist with furniture and large appliance deliveries and installations. The coronavirus pandemic has impacted furniture delivery time so that even with these vendors in place, it may take a little longer than normal to get a space ready for move in.
How to select corporate lodging becomes a much more manageable task when enlisting the help of a professional corporate lodging company. The ultimate goal is to find a housing provider who can assist transferees in locating housing and getting it move in ready as soon as possible. This allows them to focus on work and the move without worrying about the details.