In today’s world of business, it is not uncommon for a company to move across state lines to a new location, which often has management wondering how to relocate the workforce now that the company is moving to another state. In most cases, the move happens due to a substantial tax break or a change in ownership, but either way it has been deemed in the best interest of the company. However, the logistics and process of moving the workforce across state lines can almost be enough to make management rethink the move.
Fortunately, reputable corporate housing companies specialize in not only day-to-day business travel accommodations, but also in relocation and destination services. Enlisting a professional company to assist can make all the difference in a smooth transition for the employer and the employee.
How to Relocate My Workforce Now That My Company Is Moving to Another State
The risk with moving a company across state lines is that the change will often prompt an instant reduction in the workforce. While this may still hold true for some lower-level employees, most executives and management will prefer to move with the business, although they may dread navigating the logistics involved.
However, working with a reputable corporate lodging company, the employees choosing to move with the business will be pleasantly surprised at the facilitation of the process. These companies are experts at managing the lodging details of a move so that the employer can focus on other important matters at hand. Not only will a professional company manage the housing arrangements, but they will also go the extra mile to ensure their clients find an arrangement they are happy with and can easily settle into.
The alternative is to have each employee make their own arrangements for moving, and at some point, this may in their eyes become more trouble than its worth. Why risk losing some of the workforce when a corporate lodging company can do the work for you to ensure employees are comfortable and settled?
Employer Advantages to Working with a Professional Corporate Housing Company
While delegating the details and logistics of moving to a professional corporate housing company is a definite benefit to using one, there are a number of other advantages for the employer, including
- More time to focus on moving the business itself. Moving multiple employees at once is quite the undertaking. By handing over the relocation lodging arrangements to a corporate housing company, it frees the business up to focus on the details of moving the office itself.
- Better workplace productivity. After an office moves across state lines, it is only normal for employees to feel overwhelmed with finding a new home and starting work in a new office, all at the same time. However, a housing company can assist with finding a new home so that employees can assimilate to their new environment more quickly which in turn can make them happier and more productive at work. It is a win-win for the employer and the employee.
- Corporate travel partnership for all current and future traveling needs. A perk to already having an established relationship with a corporate lodging company for a statewide move is that they can also become your business’ go to when it comes to housing arrangements for regular business travel. Additional benefits to this valuable relationship include allowing employers to keep their projects on time and on budget. Unlike hotels, stays of 30 days or more in corporate housing are tax free, and everything employees need to get settled in and comfortable are included, such as utilities, linens, a full kitchen, a washer and dryer and all furnishings. Taking the worry and ‘what ifs’ out of the equation gives peace of mind to all involved.
Benefits of Corporate Lodging to Employees Moving Across State Lines
Although the benefits of working with a professional lodging company are invaluable to employers, to make a move to a new state a true success, it is critical that there be benefits to the employees as well. Some of the top benefits of having a company coordinate an employee’s move include:
- Focus on elements of the move other than lodging. Relocating for work requires more than just new lodging. It requires packing up personal belongings and furniture, getting the mail forwarded, finding a new school for the children and more. With so many logistics to coordinate, allowing professionals to handle the lodging can free an employee up to focus on other aspects of moving.
- Access to city and neighborhood tours. Depending on the state a business is moving to, an individual’s surroundings can look different beyond the topography, including new banks, restaurants, schools, shopping centers and more. A reputable housing company will have a dedicated destination services team that can provide an employee with a tour of their new area so they can become more familiar and comfortable with it.
- Facilitation of appointments. A corporate housing company’s destination services team can also assist with making advance appointments for individuals to visit with bank managers and schools to help them and their families assimilate faster. This team can also make appointments to help with updating driver’s licenses.
- Temporary lodging choices. When an employee has left their old home and is required to be at work before finding a permanent home, it is critical to the employee to have an interim option that still features all the creature comforts of home. Temporary housing companies can offer options in the form of condos, townhomes, apartments, and houses. Beyond that, they also typically offer both furnished and unfurnished options to match whatever best suits the client.
- Home-like atmosphere. A corporate housing company can offer special touches that make even temporary lodging feel like home. These multi-room spaces feature bedrooms, bathrooms, living areas, kitchens, and dining areas. The private washer and dryer and full kitchen inside the apartment are some of the most valuable elements of temporary lodging for an employee. This allows them to do laundry and cook at their leisure instead of spending hours at a public laundromat or eating out for every meal. Customization is another option that is highly valued. For instance, an extra bedroom can be turned into a home office, a regular sofa can be swapped out with a sofa bed, or a pack-n-play can be provided upon request for a baby or toddler. For employees with furry companions, pet-friendly properties are available as well.
When it comes to how to relocate the workforce now that the company is moving to another state, do not elevate stress and work levels by trying to handle the details on your own. Enlist the help of a reputable corporate lodging company that features destination services and breathe a welcome sigh of relief that comes with checking an item off your to-do list.